Able Meaning And Definition
The word “able” is an adjective used to describe someone or something that has the capability or skill to perform a particular task or achieve a particular goal. It is often used to indicate that an individual or entity has a certain level of competence or proficiency in a given area.
One of the key aspects of the meaning of “able” is the idea of having the necessary qualities, skills, or resources to accomplish a task. For example, a person may be described as “able” if they have the knowledge, experience, or training required to complete a particular job successfully. In this sense, “able” is often used synonymously with “competent” or “capable.”
Another important aspect of the meaning of “able” is the idea of having the power or ability to do something. For example, a person may be described as “able” if they have the physical or mental capacity to perform a particular action or task. This can include everything from running a marathon to solving a complex mathematical problem.
In addition to describing individual competence or capability, the term “able” can also be used to describe larger entities, such as organizations or institutions. For example, a company may be described as “able” if it has the financial resources, skilled employees, and efficient processes needed to succeed in its industry.
The word “able” also has a number of related meanings and connotations that are worth exploring. For example, it can be used to describe someone who is physically or mentally strong and healthy, or someone who is financially secure and able to provide for their family.
In some contexts, “able” can also be used to suggest a certain level of moral or ethical integrity. For example, a person may be described as “able” if they have a strong sense of responsibility and are committed to doing the right thing, even in difficult situations.
The origins of the word “able” can be traced back to the Latin word “habilis,” which means “able” or “fit.” This word was later adopted into Old French as “able,” which eventually became the English word we use today.
Overall, the term “able” is a versatile and widely used adjective that can be applied to a wide range of people, organizations, and situations. Its meaning is closely tied to the idea of competence, capability, and the ability to accomplish a particular task or achieve a particular goal. Whether used to describe an individual’s skills and abilities or the resources and capabilities of an organization, the word “able” remains a powerful and important part of the English language.
‘Able’ Sentences Examples
Here are some examples of sentences that use the word “able”:
1. The new employee is very able and has quickly become a valuable member of the team.
2. Despite her injury, she was able to complete the marathon with an impressive time.
3. The company’s marketing team is able to identify and target new customer segments effectively.
4. Thanks to his expertise, the contractor was able to complete the project ahead of schedule.
5. With the right training, anyone is able to learn a new language.
6. The successful business owner was able to overcome numerous challenges and obstacles to achieve his goals.
7. She is able to balance her work and personal life effectively, allowing her to enjoy both without sacrificing one for the other.
8. The organization is able to provide high-quality services to its clients thanks to its experienced and dedicated staff.
9. The professor is able to explain complex concepts in a way that is easy for students to understand.
10. Despite his disability, he is able to lead an active and fulfilling life.
100+ Able Synonyms
Blog post title: Able Meaning – Definition – Synonyms